Friday, January 14, 2011

jpop vs kpop

So jpop vs kpop is an ongoing battle for me. There are heaps of people in my generation that is just obsessed with kpop, and then there's me and eric, and some other people from school who love our jap music. I don't actually know why people love korean music so much, since in my opinion jap is just so much better, but I can't force my opinion on other people.

But now I've found conclusive evidence that jpop is more popular than kpop.
I was on this forum about my favourite band SCANDAL right, and one of the topics was about jpop vs kpop. Turns out channel[V] (the music channel) held a competition called battle of the pop (Japan vs. Korea) which is pretty much jpop vs kpop. People would vote online for who they think is better, out of a certain pairing.

The results were:
























That's right. Out of the 8 pairings, only one Korean group came out on top, and that was DBSK. In every other pairing, the Jap band/group/artist won.
That means, all the popular groups in my generation lost to the Jap counterparts.
The popular Big Bang lost to Kat-Tun by 4000 votes, and I bet no-one from my generation has even heard of Kat-Tun before.
The group I know a lot of girls like, SHINee lost to W-inds by 1000 votes.
Rain lost to Mika Nakashima by 4000 votes as well.
DBSK did well though, they beat Koda Kumi by 4000 votes, the only kpop group to win their pairing.
Super Junior lost to Arashi by  4000 votes. Bad luck to all the Super Junior fans out there :P
Yui completely owned Wonder Girls by beating them by 5000 votes, I was actually suprised at how much Yui's popularity has grown.
BoA lost to Ayumi Hamasaki by 3000 votes.
And they obviously saved the best till last, SCANDAL beat SNSD by 2000 points! That's right! To everyone who disliked my taste in jap bands, you couldn't have been more wrong. SCANDAL easily beat SNSD which just makes SCANDAL so much better. How many people are in SNSD? Like 9? So it was pretty much 4 vs 9 and SCANDAL still won. No-one can bag me about my music now if they listen to Korean music.

This ranking shows just how awesome and popular Jap music is, and everyone should be listening to Jap not Korean >_> but ohwell, I'm happy Jap music is more popular, now I can brag :D

8 comments:

  1. i expected DBSK to win LOL because they achieved so much in both korea and japan. They are the rare ones ;D
    As much as I enjoy listening to kpop, jpop is still awesome too (Y) it's just when I listen to jpop, I get sentimental ROFL their rock and ballads are good though :)

    The poll still doesn't prove much to me, it's still preference that counts. Plus the pairing could have made it easier for few to vote.
    I'm just saying.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still believe you should listen to something you understand.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for yui scandal and arashi :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I am a delusional, bias, Korean fanatic I'm just going to say... maybe it was a glitch. LOL, were the votes filtered so you could only vote once? I've seen many polls where people just consistently keep voting for their favorite artists...

    I would have still been listening to J-POP like the early days if it wasn't for consistent high pitched voices from its girl groups, weird and always out of sync dancing even in their freaking music videos (NEWS) and a whole list of other things.

    In terms of girl/guy group wise I reckon Korea wins hand down with the exception of some Japanese group like KAT-TUN and SCANDAL. In terms of solo singers, Japan has produced some very extraordinary voices.

    If I was the self that I was a few years ago, after seeing this post I would have slammed you into the wall. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. jpop is way down more worth listining than kpop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised... young people nowadays talking about kpop much more than jpop. Even in my country the column for jpop/jdorama changed to kpop...

    I listen to jpop most of the time with little of kpop, cpop, or other pop (other than jpop, mostly listen to the recommended one). But jpop music is much better in my opinion...Well, can't do anything if people love other pop more than jpop XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a solid ELF >> >> what ever survey result will be out .... i'm still on my biases <3

    ReplyDelete